Building Permit / Sewage Permit Information

Council of Governments, located on Main Street in New Milford, handles both sewage permits as well as building permits.


If the land you are planning on building on is not hooked up to one of the public sewage systems – in the area of Quaker Lake, Laurel Lake or Pops Hobby Lake – you will most likely need to have a perk test done. All sewage work must be completed before a building permit can be issued. If you are not sure if you are in a public sewer area or not, please call the township office at 570-663-2126 or 570-278-7158. Council of Government (COG) phone number is 1-800-211-1639.


If you are putting up a cold storage building and the square footage is less than 1,000 and it is not attached to your main dwelling, please call the township office to obtain your building permit at one of the telephone numbers listed above.

However, if you are building a new home or adding to your existing home or making any structural changes you must call Code Inspections, Inc. to obtain your permit888-264-2633. There are fines if you do not obtain your permit.

Code Inspections, Inc.
PO Box 308
269 Overton Road
Dushore, PA  18614
Phone:  888-264-2633 or (570) 928-9208
Fax:  (570) 928-9183

The above changes became effective on July 1, 2004 when Uniform Construction Code (UCC) became law in Pennsylvania.

If you have any questions as to whether or not you need a permit, please call the township office at 570-663-2126 or 570-278-7158 or call COG 570-465-2633.

A website that might help to answer some questions:

Building a new home can be a very stressful and confusing venture, please feel free to contact the township office and we will be glad to help with each step-that’s what we are here for.